Electricity is an essential part of every home. It powers our lights and appliances; however, it can also be dangerous. Electrical shock and house fire are a couple of reasons why it is essential to take precautions and keep you and your loved ones safe. Let’s look at a few tips for electrical safety in the home.

The Importance of Electrical Safety

Working with electricity can be incredibly dangerous. Exposure to electricity can result in electrical burns, shock, and even electrocution. Exposed or damaged wiring is often the cause of house fires and should be dealt with as soon as possible to avoid damage to your home.

Electrical Safety Tips for the Home

1. Fix Damaged Cords

If you notice damaged or frayed cords around your home, replace them as soon as possible. Frayed wires often cause house fires and can cause serious injury if you have direct contact with them.

2. Practice Careful Use of Extension Cords

Extension cords are a convenient way to power devices and appliances in areas that don’t have an outlet. While these are useful, it is essential not to overuse them as this can overload the circuit and cause damage to your home’s electrical system.

3. Use Surge Protectors

Surge protectors are a great way to keep devices and appliances safe during a power surge. Sudden surges may overload appliances and cause them to malfunction or even break. To protect your appliances, install surge protectors around your home to regulate the power output to your devices.

4. Keep Outlets Clear

Prevent electrical fires at home by keeping electrical outlets clear. If you have drapes or curtains, ensure that they don’t cover the outlets. An electrical outlet can become warm and cause a fire if blocked by flammable materials.

5. Use Insulated Tools to Promote Electrical Safety in the Home

If you are working on the electronics around your home, always use insulated tools. Safety equipment includes rubber-handled tools and gloves to prevent burns or electric shock when handling the wires. If you need a ladder, use a wooden one as a metal ladder can conduct electricity.

6. Keep Electronics Dry

Keep water away from electronics. Moisture conducts electricity and may lead to short circuits. Don’t use light switches or plug appliances into outlets with wet hands, as you can get shocked.

7. Electrical Safety in Homes With Children

Make sure all electrical wires and cords are away from children. If you need to use an extension cord, keep them higher up so kids can’t reach them. Install outlet covers to prevent curious children from inserting toys or fingers into the outlets.

GoPro Home Inspections provides home inspection services. Contact us to schedule an appointment.